Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Primera Semana en Salamanca

So I’ve been in Salamanca for a little over a week now, and I really like it here. It’s a really cool town, and it’s big enough to get the city feel, but not quite as big as Madrid so I feel more like I actually live here. I also know it’s not too big because I’ll see people I know or have met just walking around a lot.  I like how there are parks all over and everything is pretty much in walking distance. Also, there are a lot more young people here it seems like, probably due to the University.

 We’ve done a lot so far here, from taking classes at the University, to going to the pool on really hot days, to shopping and seeing the night life here. I love walking around the Plaza Mayor area at night, because it is lit up so well and there are always people eating, chatting, walking around, or just hanging out. I wish there was some type of plaza in my town, because it’s an easy place to meet and hang out with friends.

I have also gotten a little experience with the transportation here. Last weekend, two of my girlfriends and I went to Valencia and we took the train. It was pretty easy to do, and now I know my way around the station for future travels. Valencia was beautiful too! We went to the beach all day Saturday, and the water was so warm it felt like a bath! We also rented lounge chairs with cushions for the day, so we could totally relax and not worry about getting all sandy (which I hate!).

Overall, I’ve had a great time so far. I think living with a family has helped me to use my Spanish even if it’s just during our meals or during passing. We also have another exchange student living in the house, and she is 16 and from New York. I think it will be nice to have another student here because we can relate to each other, and also help each other with our Spanish.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like everyone is having a great experience in Spain! What a beautiful picture of 4 beautiful girls! Miss u Liv!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice reflection, Jacqueline. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete